Wednesday, July 6, 2011

GUMPASTE GERBER (GERBERA) DAISY TUTORIAL

My brother-in-law got married this weekend and asked me to make the wedding cake.  The request was for Red Gerber Daisies on a 3 tiered, squared, stacked cake.  This was my first wedding cake.  Here's picture of the finished cake:



To make the Gerbers

Gumpaste (I used Satin Ice, the small container makes 16 large + 4 small Daisies)
Non-stick mat (Silplat)
Rolling pin
Daisy Cutters (I used the PME large and small daisy plunger cutters)
Gumpaste ball tool
Red (Fire and Poppy colored) Petal Dust
Super Red Americolor Gel
Forest Green Wilton Gel
Flower wire
Flower tape
Gumpaste "glue" (I use vodka, but you can use water or a paste made from gumpaste and water)


Step 1:  Roll out gumpaste on a non-stick mat.  1/8 an inch or thinner.  I use an upside-down glass to store gumpaste when not using.  I also use an old nylon filled with cornstarch to help keep the gumpaste from sticking to the roller and the mat



Step 2
Place the gumpaste on the cutter and use the palm of your hand to press the gumpaste into the cutter.  I discovered that this works better for getting a clean cut for all the petals, especially when working with the large cutter.  Make sure all the petals are cut through the gumpaste and wipe away excess gumpaste that may get stuck between the petals.


Step 3
Place the cutter down on the non-stick surface and press the plunger down to get the petal imprint on each petal and then lift away the cutter




Step 4:
Use the ball tool to smooth out the edges then place in flower former.  I used the cardboard separator things that come in apple boxes, which I got for free at the grocery store.  Love using free things!





Step 5
Paint the flowers with petal dust.  You could color the white gumpaste with gel prior to cutting as well which will save a lot of time.  I actually did both because I ran short of time, but the hand painted ones did have more definition.  After painting, add the next row of petals by cutting another set of daisies.  You could vary the sizes up for the second layer.


Step 6
For the center of the flowers, I cut out more gumpaste using a small 8 petal flower cutter.  I then cut the flower into 4 parts.  These parts were then placed in a circle in the center of the flower.  The process was repeated for a second row.  I then placed a ball of yellow/green gumpaste in the center.





Step 7
After the flower has fully dried, complete the back.  Wrap the floral wire with floral tape.  Place the wire in a small ball of gumpaste and attach to the back of flower using gumpaste "glue" and let completely dry.  After drying, cut a green flower (I used the small daisy cutter) attach to the back of the flower using a little "glue".  Let completely dry.  These flowers take several days to dry because of the multiple layers of gumpaste.  To speed up drying time, leave overnight in oven with just the light on.  This works really well and saved me a couple days. :-)


Here's final close up of the flowers



I hope you found this tutorial helpful.

The challenge with this project was achieving a nice bold red color.  I tried both painting and using color gel but neither produced the a bold shade of red.   I would love to hear suggestions on how to achieve a solid, bold red color.    Nothing I try seems to work...what is the secret to RED ????

No comments:

Post a Comment